KETOCITRA® , WHERE HEALTH AND SCIENCE MEET
KetoCitra® is the FIRST medical food for the daily dietary management of individuals with mild to moderate stages (CKD stages 1-3) of autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD). KetoCitra® may still be appropriate for individuals with stages 4 or 5, but this should be determined by your health care practitioner.
- BHB is A “ketone body” that is normally produced by the liver during periods of fasting and provides energy for nearly all cells in the body. BHB serves many functions in the body and can regulate cell behavior by affecting numerous signaling pathways.
- Metabolic abnormalities in renal cells for ADPKD lead to preference of glucose as an energy source to sustain disease progression over the ketone body BHB (1-15).
- Research conducted by the Weimbs Lab at UCSB identified that cystic cells in PKD are metabolically inflexible, indicating these cells can be targeted to adapt to new changes in metabolic demand.
- Weimbs Lab research shows that an increase in exogeneous BHB levels in the blood replicates the beneficial effects of a ketogenic regimen which has beneficial effects on renal cyst growth.
- Ketosis is a natural way to produce BHB, however, consuming BHB alone appears to show similar effects as dietary interventions. BHB levels are typically low in the blood due to conventional, carbohydrate-predominant diets consumed by most individuals.
- KetoCitra® is intended to facilitate the nutritional management of individuals with ADPKD by providing a preferred cellular energy substrate, the ketone BHB.
- Citric acid – or “citrate” – is normally produced and consumed by most cells in the body. Individuals with PKD typically have low levels of citrate in their kidneys which leads to the risk of formation of dangerous crystals and worse disease progression.
- Studies have shown that citrate can aid in slowing down disease progression by helping to decrease kidney injury from microcrystals that form in the kidney to initiate cyst growth.
- KetoCitra® is intended to help normalize the urine pH (acidity). Metabolic changes in individuals with ADPKD frequently lead to abnormally acidic urine with a low pH value that may increase the risk of renal crystal precipitation which may detrimentally affect ADPKD progression.
Who qualifies to take KetoCitra®?
Recommendations and Guidelines
- KetoCitra® is recommended for individuals with mild to moderate stages (CKD stages 1-3) of ADPKD.
- KetoCitra® contains the electrolytes potassium, calcium, and magnesium, it may not be appropriate for individuals with advanced-stage chronic kidney disease (CKD stages 4 or 5), however, in some cases, it might be appropriate for those in stages 4 or 5. This should be determined by your health care practitioner.
- KetoCitra® is not recommended for individuals who have been told by their healthcare practitioner to limit their potassium intake.
- Not sure if you qualify? You can work with a practitioner by choosing one of the four options here: https://santabarbaranutrients.com/find-a-practitioner/
Is KetoCitra® ok to take without dietary changes?
KetoCitra® is still beneficial even without dietary changes. However, we recommend dietary changes in addition to taking KetoCitra®.
What does KetoCitra® provide?
Two servings per day with meals provides: 5.3 g of Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB), 3.5 g Citrate, 51 mEq Alkaline Base, 600 mg Potassium, 300 mg Calcium, 250 mg Magnesium per day.
- *For comparison, the amount of potassium in a large banana is ~600 mg, the amount of calcium in a cup of milk is ~300 mg, and the amount of magnesium in 1.5 cups of broccoli is ~230 mg.
How much does KetoCitra® cost?
Subscription: If you purchase KetoCitra on a subscription model (delivery every 30 days), a one-month supply will cost $139. This method saves you 22% compared to the regular purchase price. While most traditional health insurance plans do not reimburse medical food purchases, we encourage you to check with your plan’s administrator to see if this is a possibility. However, if you hold a FSA (Flexible Spending Account) or HSA (Health Savings Account), KetoCitra® can be purchased with your FSA/ HSA card at check-out.
The subscription features are:
- Your first shipment comes with free pH indicator paper suitable for monitoring urine pH.
- A one-month supply of KetoCitra will arrive at your doorstep every month when you need it. No need to remember to reorder.
- Cancel anytime. No obligation.
- Secret tip:if you only want to order KetoCitra one time to try, you can buy it at the low subscription price and then cancel it. We won’t be offended!
- Change the amount or delivery date anytime. You will receive an email notification prior to every new shipment so that you can easily adjust the shipping date, or add items.
- Going on a trip and want more KetoCitra for your luggage? Simply order two bottles with your next shipment.
- On a break? Simply order less frequently.
One time purchase: $180/month. You can purchase KetoCitra at this one-time price but we recommend to save money and buy it at the lower subscription price above. Feel free to “cheat” and cancel immediately after you place your first subscription order. No problem!
- KetoCitra® is specially formulated with kidney safety in mind and avoids any unnecessary fillers, bulking agents or other artificial or potentially harmful ingredients.
- KetoCitra® contains a blend of important electrolytes (potassium, calcium, and magnesium).
- KetoCitra® is formulated to contain only negligible amounts of sodium because dietary sodium intake is associated with accelerated disease progression in ADPKD and other forms of chronic kidney disease (Chebib and Torres, 2018; Kramers et al., 2020).
- No unnecessary ingredients included: Many ingredients that are commonly found in processed foods or dietary supplements may be renal stressors and potentially harmful to individuals with ADPKD.
KetoCitra® is the only non-prescription
product specifically developed for PKD.
*Naturally Derived Sweetener