KetoCitra®, where health and science meet
The only non-prescription product specifically developed for PKD
KetoCitra is the FIRST non-prescription product specifically designed for polycystic kidney disease (PKD) and is for the daily dietary management of individuals with mild to moderate stages (CKD stages 1-3) of autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD). KetoCitra may still be appropriate for individuals with stages 4 or 5, but this should be determined by your health care practitioner.
"I am so grateful for Santa Barbara Nutrients® for creating a medical food based on research specifically for PKD. I have been following them and waiting for KetoCitra® to be released since they first announced it and am so excited it's here! I have been taking it for 3 months and I love it. It tastes amazing, it dissolves easily in water. I feel great on it, it has helped with my restless legs and muscle aches. Check out Dr. Weimbs research on all of the benefits of KetoCitra!"
"Myself as well as my mom was in this program the last go around. My mom was a little more advanced and is now in stage 5. Although this program along with the ketocitra® and diet has kept her off dialysis for a year now. She's due to get a kidney transplant soon this year. I just wanted to say how thankful I am for this program. My mom wouldn't be here without it. At least now she has a fighting chance."
"I’ve been using KetoCitra® for 3 months now and love it. I look forward to my “special drink” twice a day! Combined with a keto diet and IF, I feel great. I’m so appreciative of you and your team and the remarkable insights you’re adding to the world’s understanding of this horrible disease. Thank you, and best of luck with the research."
— Lizzie Rose
"It's been a year since I started keto diet + KetoCitra®. What a ride! From the almost impossible first days/weeks to the simple normality of today. I'm strongest and fittest now than before this life-changing decision, at the peak of my CrossFit group, and my mind is really fast, active and creative. I'm paying an incredible level of attention to detail...I'm really impressed. I feel GREAT!"
"One of the only companies in the world taking the research from the lab quickly to the patients who need it most. Great customer service and they are dedicated to their mission to help people with kidney disease live long and healthy lives. Great customer service too, and responsive! I cannot recommend them enough!"
Order KetoCitra® Today
KetoCitra® can be purchased with your FSA/ HSA card at check-out.
While most traditional health insurance plans do not reimburse medical food purchases, we encourage you to check with your plan’s administrator to see if this is a possibility.
KetoCitra® is available as either a monthly subscription or a one time purchase. For best results, we recommend our subscription offering.
Subscription: $139.00. A 22% savings over the one time purchase price of KetoCitra®.
The subscription features are:
- Your first shipment comes with free pH indicator paper suitable for monitoring urine pH.
- A one-month supply of KetoCitra® will arrive at your doorstep every month when you need it. No need to remember to reorder.
- Change the amount or delivery date anytime. You will receive an email notification prior to every new shipment so that you can easily adjust the shipping date, or add items.
- Going on a trip and want more KetoCitra® for your luggage? Simply order two bottles with your next shipment.
- On a break? Simply order less frequently.
- Cancel anytime. No obligation.
One-time purchase: $180.00. For best results, we recommend our subscription offering
Ketocitra® Helps Your Kidneys To Maintain Their Natural Resilience.
- KetoCitra® is specially formulated with kidney safety in mind and avoids any unnecessary fillers, bulking agents, or other artificial or potentially harmful ingredients.
- KetoCitra® provides specifically modified nutritional support to address the unique nutrient needs of individuals with ADPKD.
- KetoCitra® contains a blend of important electrolytes that help to bind food-derived oxalate and inorganic phosphates to decrease absorption of calcium oxalate and calcium phosphate microcrystals.
- KetoCitra® is formulated to contain only negligible amounts of sodium because dietary sodium intake is associated with accelerated disease progression in ADPKD and other forms of chronic kidney disease.
- No unnecessary ingredients included: Many ingredients that are commonly found in processed foods or dietary supplements may be renal stressors and potentially harmful to individuals with ADPKD.
Naturally Derived Sweetener
How Does KetoCitra® Work?
- BHB is A “ketone body” that is normally produced by the liver during periods of fasting and provides energy for nearly all cells in the body. BHB serves many functions in the body and can regulate cell behavior by affecting numerous signaling pathways.
- Metabolic abnormalities in renal cells lead to a preference for glucose as an energy source, over the alternative fuel BHB, to sustain disease progression.
- Research conducted in the Weimbs Lab at the University of California Santa Barbara identified that cystic cells in PKD are metabolically inflexible and depend on blood sugar (glucose) but do not thrive during the metabolic state of ketosis when BHB levels are high.
- Weimbs Lab research showed that increasing the supply of BHB replicates the beneficial effects of a ketogenic dietary regimen.
- Inducing ketosis by dietary restrictions, such as fasting or ketogenic diets, is a natural way for the body to produce it’s own BHB. However, strict diets are difficult to sustain over the long term. Consuming BHB is a way of elevating BHB levels without having to adhere to strict diets.
- KetoCitra® is intended to facilitate the nutritional management of individuals with kidney disease by providing a preferred cellular energy substrate, the ketone BHB.
- Citric acid – or “citrate” – is normally produced and consumed by most cells in the body. Individuals with kidney disease typically have low levels of citrate in their kidneys which leads to the risk of formation of dangerous crystals and worse disease progression.
- Citrate is the natural defense of kidneys against the formation of damaging micro-crystals such as those formed by calcium oxalate.
- Studies in the Weimbs Lab at the University of California Santa Barbara have shown that increasing citrate can help the kidneys to become more resilient against injury from micro-crystals that form in the kidney and can worsen the progression of kidney disease.
- KetoCitra® is intended to help normalize the urine pH (acidity). Metabolic changes in individuals with kidney disease frequently lead to abnormally acidic urine with a low pH value that may increase the risk of renal crystal precipitation which may detrimentally affect the kidneys.
Who qualifies to take KetoCitra®
Recommendations and Guidelines
- KetoCitra® is recommended for individuals with mild to moderate stages (CKD stages 1-3).
- As a medical food, KetoCitra® is to be taken under medical supervision. However, no prescription is required.
- KetoCitra® contains the electrolytes potassium, calcium, and magnesium, and may therefore not be appropriate for individuals with advanced-stage chronic kidney disease (CKD stages 4 or 5). However, in some cases, it might be appropriate for those in those in more advanced stages. This should be determined by your health care practitioner.
- KetoCitra® is not recommended for individuals who have been told by their healthcare practitioner to limit their potassium intake.
My healthcare practitioner is not familiar with KetoCitra®. What can I do?
KetoCitra® is relatively new and some healthcare practitioners may not be familiar with it. Here is some information you could send to your practitioner:
Frequently asked questions with detailed answers, written for healthcare practitioners: https://santabarbaranutrients.com/faq/
Download the KetoCitra® package insert.
Your practitioner can request a free sample of KetoCitra® here.
Don’t have your own healthcare practitioner? You can find a practitioner by choosing one of the four options here: https://santabarbaranutrients.com/find-a-practitioner/
Is it OK to take KetoCitra® without any other dietary changes?
- KetoCitra® can be taken by itself even without dietary changes. However, we recommend dietary changes in addition to taking KetoCitra®. KetoCitra® is designed to work with the dietary & lifestyle changes discussed here [link].
What does KetoCitra® provide?
Two servings per day with meals provides: 5.3 g of Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB), 3.5 g Citrate, 51 mEq Alkaline Base, 600 mg Potassium, 300 mg Calcium, 250 mg Magnesium per day.
For comparison, the amount of potassium in a large banana is ~600 mg, the amount of calcium in a cup of milk is ~300 mg, and the amount of magnesium in 1.5 cups of broccoli is ~230 mg.
KetoCitra® package inserts
Detailed information about KetoCitra®: directions, nutrition and ingredient information, warnings and contraindications etc (pdf file).
→ English: KetoCitra-Package-Insert
→ Chinese: KetoCitra-Package-Insert
How can I modify my subscription?
To modify your subscription, click here
How long should I take KetoCitra®?
- Most kidney patients understand that this disease is not going away anytime soon, which means we all must plan for the long run. The plan might include healthy dietary changes, routinely visiting our nephrologists, educating ourselves, and making other life-long changes for our health. This is why we recommend taking KetoCitra® daily and committing to it part of your overall nutrition plan. While KetoCitra® is not a cure, it is the only product specifically formulated for the long-term dietary management of the disease.